Charter Partners


News & Articles on Finance & Business, Accounting, Taxation, SMSF & more

Thinking Of Doing Your Own Tax Return? It Is Harder Than It Looks

17/06/2016 by Lavina Webb Anyone who has been working for more than three months, either full-time or part-time, must be reasonably competent at what they are doing. If they were not, chances are they would have been asked to leave well before their probationary period was up. However, just because they are good at their jobs does not mean they know everything about our taxation system. We know that, because our jobs are all about our taxation system. We are

Read More »

How A Mentor Can Drive Your Business Forward

11/11/2016 by Lavina Webb It seems that every celebrity or sports star, at the end of their career, writes a no-holds-barred book about their road to success. Many of them have one person, among others who influenced their career, who provided crucial assistance at just the right times, to keep them grounded. They describe their relationship with this person as that of a mentor, and believe this was the difference between a solid career and a stellar one. Mentoring an

Read More »

How To Have Your Own SMSF And Not Lose Any Sleep

17/12/2016 by Lavina Webb Over the last five years in Australia, the number of SMSFs (self-managed superannuation funds) has grown by 27% and the latest figures show that there are almost 600,000 SMSFs managing $624 billion or 30% of all superannuation. The other 70% or $2.11 trillion is invested in professionally managed superannuation funds. These funds are the default funds for compulsory superannuation contributions, with some performing better than others over the last ten years, but all having little involvement

Read More »

Will An External Analysis Of Your Business Help It To Survive?

09/01/2017 by Lavina Webb For many Australian businesses 2016 has not been a good year, with some large and very well-known retail names going into liquidation. Masters hardware chain, Dick Smith and now Payless Shoes have shed thousands of jobs and left premises empty, with Dick Smith only surviving as an online store. Small Businesses Need Outside Help A well-known business publication, when discussing the various reasons for the demise of many businesses, noted that poor decision making and unsustainable

Read More »

The Seven Deadly SMSF Borrowing Sins

If you commit one of these seven deadly sins, your limited recourse borrowing arrangement (LRBA) can cost you dearly with double or even triple stamp duty, confusion over ownership and SMSF audit problems. Despite recent uncertainty, the government’s decision in the 2015 Federal Budget to leave superannuation alone for the foreseeable future means debt-funded property investing remains a viable strategy for SMSF investors. However, you may have been tempted by the self-proclaimed property guru offering to reveal the hidden secrets

Read More »

A Blueprint for Future Business Success

Every successful business operator knows that the key to building a customer base and getting repeat business year after year is to deliver outstanding customer service. The product mix may change over time, but its quality and the after-sales service offered by the business, stays in customers’ memories for a long time. Incremental changes every day move a company forward to meet changing markets, but in our rapidly changing business environment, customers expect more but want to pay less. We

Read More »